Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm On My Way!

Howdy, good people!

I've been having a very busy last few days, only to get even more busier the day of my surgery.  No date set yet as I haven't finished my diagnostic testing nor has Dr. Wigal written me the clearance for surgery note that I need her to do.  It always boils down to me bothering Dr. Wigal for one thing or another!  All she needs to do is write on her prescription pad, "patient is ready for surgery."  I called her office yesterday to start the process.  Hopefully it will be done by next Wednesday, as this is when I go to Gilbert to finish up the tests and I can hand the paper in right there and not have to rely on them faxing it.....they won't, for some reason!!  And I'm getting tired of all the harassment!

I had the Chest XRay and the ultrasounds of my abdomen and legs this past week and while they sent a copy to Dr. Wigal (as she ordered it) they left my bariatric surgeon out of the loop.  So I'm going to be stopping by there on the way to Gilbert and get a written report of my results.  The ultrasound of the abdomen showed a "fatty liver" but this is commonplace with a person of my weight.   This is why I will be going on two weeks of JUST yummy protein drinks before the surgery.  If I cheat and don't do it or as much, my surgeon could just open me up and close me back down if he can't move my liver safely.  The protein eats away at the fat around the liver.  It would be just WAY too embarrassing to wake up in post-op and find they closed me down due to still too much fat.  So I'm gonna drink the protein drinks with a smile on my face.  I may even do an extra shot of protein!  :0)

Yesterday I had my bariatric education class and it was very informative.  I have to laugh, though, it was so early in the morning (8am) and we had to leave home by 6am so needless to say, I was a little on the drowsy side.  For a good hour, I kept nodding off and thank God for my hubby who poked me about 43 times to keep me awake.  I've got all kinds of stray marks from my pen in my notebook and on my shirt!!  My hubby took notes, too and they give you a binder with all the information in it, too.  They call it our "Bariatric Bible."

Anyway, I found out that my new stomach will be the size of my thumb.  That's it.  So whatever I eat, has to count.  No more empty calories.  No more diet sodas (because the carbonation in them causes the buildup of painful gas!).  I will be taking about five different vitamins, minerals and the protein drinks for the rest of my life.  When I do eat solid food....which is about three-four weeks post-op, it's in very limited quantities.  I'll be taking in about 500 calories a day.   Major weight loss......hopefully!

When I came home I had further questions about my testing procedures and I learned my insurance will authorize it for Banner Gateway, which is where I am having my surgery.  Had I known THAT, I would have gotten everything in one place, one day.  So next week on the 10th I'm going to finish up:  the UGI (upper digestive tract and swallowing test), my boat load of 600 labs (slight exaggeration!) and my EKG and a very painful test, I've heard, the ABG which stands for arterial blood gas.  They dig around your wrist with a needle and take an ARTERIAL sample of blood for analysis.  I'm not looking forward to that!!!  But positive side:  I get all that done and turn in my paper work and I have a real good shot of having my surgery by the end of March.  I hope so....I just want to get it over with and have my new life start.  This is such a HUGE, drastic step I'm taking.  I can't chicken out hubby just spent a fortune on me for my first batch of protein drinks and the 5 bariatric supplements and vitamins.  Everything has to be small or crushed or liquid form or I won't be able to have it fit in my new stomach.  So my morphine extended release I can't crush, but it is small, so I'll see if I can continue it or change it to something I'll have to take more frequently.  We shall see!!

Oh, man, I'm so drained and in flare-up.  I woke up this morning feeling like I was all fused together.  I could barely walk to the bathroom and I had to really go!!  I take one water pill a day, but it's a doozy of one.  At least we have the weekend open and I plan on catching up on much needed rest.  I am so tired!!!

Hope you all are doing well and I'm thinking and praying for each and every one of you.  Thanks for your support and prayers and friendship.  You all mean the world to me :0)

Have a blessed Friday!!!
Big hugs to you all,
Huge THANX to GINA for my pretty new siggy. Please click on it to visit her great blog!


  1. Yipee! Sounds like everything is falling in place and before you know it, you will have a surgery date. It will be hard to be on your protein shakes but you can do it. If you get discouraged, just focus on the light at the end of the step closer to your goal. Also, just email me and I will give you a pep talk. I wish I still lived in Phoenix so I could take care of you.

    Have a good weekend, get some much needed rest.

  2. Thank you so much for your kindness, Shawn. I really appreciate it and feel the same way about you. :0)


I would LOVE to hear your thoughts about my blog post today. Would you kindly leave a comment for me?
Thank you so much!

Daily Blessings

Blog Directory

Blogarama - Blog Directory

Make Fibro Visible!

Make Fibro Visible!
It's been invisible for FAR too long!!!


  • Perspective
  • Confidentiality
  • Disclosure
  • Reliability
  • Courtesy

My Worldwide Visitors

free counters

Come back soon, OK?